Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Monday, July 7, 2014
Wednesday, May 7, 2014
I finally got a breather today - I am officially done with the first semester of my PhD today! It wasn't too bad at all - I enjoyed sitting through classes again (3 courses and one seminar), and felt like I had the opportunity to make up for many things I wish I had done during my undergrad days! Of course, it came at a price - I spent much less time at home and with the kids in the last 4 months. And there were times when it felt that our house was falling apart due to so many things that needed desperate attention (broken stuff in the house, financial matters etc.). But we pulled through! It appears that the boys are far more independent now and have certainly developed a much greater bond with saurabh and also with nana-nani. In fact, since the time their vacations started, the boys have been begging to go and stay over at nana-nani's place every second day. There have been weeks when they have stayed more nights at grandparent's place than at our own home. Saurabh and I have even been able to enjoy some movie nights and late-night chaat and icecream outings to the campus hub. Nana-nani have also been getting more adventurous and taking the kids out for outings like children's plays etc. So it seems to be a win-win so far. Though I must admit that giving up control has been a little hard, but everyone seems to be happy so far.
I say "so far" because the next big step for us is right around the corner. As part of my PhD requirements, I need to spend 6 weeks living in a village this summer. I leave on Monday. It will be the first time; I don't think I have been away from the kids for more than a week ever. It is scary but also very exciting for me because of the unique opportunity. I chose a village which is not too far away, so I can still come home within a few hours if there is an emergency. Dadosa and Dadisa are also expected to arrive in a week, so I certainly think that things are going to be in control.
On a different note, summer is in full swing - the heat, the sweat, the mangoes, and the long hours at the pool - its all here! Anurag did a swimming camp last two weeks, and is much more confident now. Kabir had his skating camp for 2 weeks and now he's taking the intermediate level swimming camp. Its wonderful to see the kids learning from Dr. Reddy, the IITB swimming coach - the same coach who taught me how to swim 30 years ago! I hope this well help the boys share the same love for swimming that I do.
My resolution is to post at least some photos from the past few months to share the highlights. Hopefully soon.
Sunday, March 16, 2014
There has been little action on the blog lately, which can be attributed to the over-the-top action in our household in the past few months.
* The first update is that I joined the PhD program at IIT since January to continue the research I was engaged in as a research staff for the past 2.5 years. This meant taking the entrance exam in December and now attending classes, writing exams and doing a lot of reading all over again! But so far I'm enjoying the flexibility that comes with the student life and I'm loving being part of the student community again.
* There was much action in our home in the last month or so with Kabir's 6th birthday in Feb and Anurag's 4th birthday last week. It was made special by Zoya's presence who visited India along with Kakku bua and Erroll fufaji for a month. The three kids bonded a lot and it was adorable to see little zoya run behind the boys calling "baiya, baiya". Pics/ videos to come soon (hopefully).
* Kabir took a week off from school and visited Rajasthan with Saurabh. This was the first time he took a trip without me. They attended a wedding and spent time at dada-dadi's place with zoya, bua and others. Anurag, ofcourse, was quite upset that he didn't get to go. But I had my midterms at the same time so he stayed back with me (and I got to discover the excitement of studying for exams with a 4 year old at home - fortunately neighbours came to rescue big time!)
* Another big update is that Kabir is done with first grade at school. How time has flown! He has a month long vacation and school reopens in April when he will start in 2nd standard. Summer vacation will follow in May-June.
* Speaking of summer, it has started to get really warm here - which means we're back to swimming! And season's first mangoes are here too. :)